Thursday, February 8, 2007

Necessity is the Mother of... Stir Sicks

I used to drive a school bus. I never actually knitted while driving (the turns would have been awkward) but I will admit that visions of beautiful sweaters and afghans filled my mind as I drove. (Kids? What kids?) After my run I would often wait at the bus yard for my husband to come and drive me home. What better thing to do with an idle hour than knit? However, sometimes I would forget (or lose) my cable needle... and then, what to do?? Cable needles are in short supply in industrial parks, but there's lots of coffee- and I discovered that a stir stick will do for a cable needle or stitch holder in a pinch.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever adapted to your knitting needs? Leave a comment, I'd love to hear!

4 comments:

A random person said...

The weirdest thing I've used is the little colored rings that go on the Braun electric toothbrushes. I've used them for stitch markers on sweaters.

Rachel said...

Ingenious!

Anonymous said...

My hubby made me little tiny 4 1/2 inch needles out of a pair of chop sticks i carry them in my purse with a tiny ball of yarn and when i am stuck somewhere i knit bandages for the bandage brigade.

Pookie said...

a bracelet with a clap can work in a pinch